Friends, Fireworks, and Flying Men (Voladores)

One of my favorite photos of the several thousand I took while down in Mexico includes a few iconic PV images: the Pier at Playa de los Muertos, the sunset colors, and the beach with all the tourists in the water.


Ah yes, that's it.  I can feel the warm summer air on my face and hear the sound of the waves lapping against the pier. So nice. Can't wait to go back soon.

One of the spots not too far from here was a restaurant called Cuates y Cuetes. I remember asking a waiter what the name meant and he told me that it means "friends and fireworks" but is also a play on words. I like that- friends and fireworks. I have many friends who are movers and shakers, and who dazzle me left and right with their brains and brilliance, so I felt a connection with the name. There was ALWAYS live music playing, and man, did they make a good cosmo, for only 100 pesos. Here's a little peek into the ambiance:



As I tried to get in my 10,000 steps a day, I would often make my way past the pier, past Cuates y Cuetes with its live music, and down the malecon. One day, I am sitting at a restaurant located on the second floor, overlooking the beach and the boardwalk, and this is what I see:



Did you notice, in the background, what looks like an amusement park ride, that goes round and round with "something" hanging off the end? I would love to hear what you think this is, in the comments. If you need to watch the video again, please do. Then venture a guess as to what you're seeing. ๐Ÿ˜

When the waiter explained to me not only what it was but also the history behind it, I knew that I would have to have a closer look. Warning: you may not believe your eyes. I know I didn't, at first. I was just trying to enjoy my sangria!



Holy crow, right!?!? I literally could not believe it when I hear about it the first time. I thought those were puppets at the end of the string!! NO! Those men are known as Los Voladores and this is a tradition that originated in Papantlan, Veracruz in about 660 B.C. It's an ancient ritual and the "voladores" are a link between the gods and earthly creatures. You can read more about it here. The flute and drum that you hear are part of the ritual.

After that, I made my way back to the AirBnb, and would of course pass the art sculptures, the PV sign with the copy of The Boy and the Seahorse statue, the LOVE sign (yes, you read that right! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜˜), the Pier, and then finally, plop into bed at the end of a long and exhilarating day, ready to do it all again in less than 8 hours. See you next week!







Comments

  1. Is there a way to let the PV tourism office know about your blog? They need to… every time I read one all I want to do is GO there!! Thank you for sharing your experiences so vividly ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Younger Self

From Ley Lines to Energy Vortexes

Food Connection Adventure❣️